Updating name on social security card

Rated 3.92/5 based on 605 customer reviews

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document (includes hyphens and apostrophes).

The only time you may process an SSN application in a name that does not agree with the name shown on the immigration document is if the person legally changed his or her name after the immigration document is issued.

If you have reported income under your former or maiden name, and didn’t inform us of a change, we might not have received an accurate W-2 and your earnings may have been recorded incorrectly.

This is easier to fix now — when you first change your name — than years from now when you retire, when it may cause delays in receiving your benefits.

We do not consider the middle name or suffix part of the legal name.

Whether the middle name or suffix is included, omitted or incorrectly shown on evidentiary documents submitted with an SS-5 (Application for a Social Security number Card) does not matter.

We recently updated instructions for employees to process claims and appeals when a determination of marital status is necessary.

With these changing rules, we encourage anyone who believes they may be eligible for benefits to apply now.

Department of State) when issuing immigration documents bearing a person’s legal name.You must also provide documents proving your: New or revised citizenship status (We can only accept certain documents as proof of citizenship. All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency.We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. For many people, a wedding often means a name change is in order.If you are legally changing your name, you need to apply for a replacement Social Security card reflecting your new name. That way, Social Security can keep track of your earnings history as you go about living your wonderful new life.

Leave a Reply